Monday, February 17, 2014

Valley Christian Church: Overflowing Blessings

Yesterday, during our Sunday services, we "spotlighted" Miles for Muia, which included an 8-minute video (which will be shared shortly) and invited people to find out more after each service.



The response was overwhelming.  After each service, the tables were crowded with people wanting to know how they can help.  By the end of the day, more than 45 people/families (that we know of) had signed up to help, many of whom gave us money on the spot.  Many others just handed us cash as they walked by.  (For those who aren't familiar, Valley isn't a large church.  On a typical Sunday, we may have 300 people between the two services.)

The Valley family has, again and again, proven their faithfulness to His calling and been generous with His gifts.  But it would have been unfair to expect too much of them.  Had I dared to form an expectation, I'm sure it wouldn't have been this great.  Once again, I underestimated God's and His people's faithfulness.

Each response was special and touching but, I couldn't help but to be affected by some more than others.  There's the girl who donated $2.60 - she will not be denied the opportunity to help this family across the world.  Then there's the man who handed over a crisp $100 bill and asked for no acknowledgement. I was told of a woman who left the service in tears and felt compelled to give $400, in faith.  Or maybe it was the couple who had just made a large donation to support the youth at our church and committed to donate another large donation for Muia's family.

In the end, each name on the list of contributors meant something special.  Each person responded in love to God for this family they've never met.  In the end, it wasn't the number of dollars that overwhelmed me.  What humbled me was the realization that we put out a call for help and the church responded so resoundingly, "Here we are!"
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” (Isa 6:8)
NOTE: We are confirming the contributions collected and committed (some pledged and will provide the money at a later date).  Based on the contributions we in hand, we may already have enough to look into purchasing the land.

No comments:

Post a Comment